Community Water Fluoridation:
Improving Oral Health in Miami-Dade
SW Miami-Dade is Prime for Water Fluoridation
For 75 years, people in the United States have been drinking water with added fluoride. Fluoridated water keeps teeth strong, reduces tooth decay by about 25% in children and adults, and saves the US health care system money.
- The South Miami-Dade Water System is located South of SW 264 St in the unincorporated areas of Leisure City, Everglades Labor Camp, and Naranja areas.
- The South Miami-Dade System is NOT optimally fluoridated. Its natural fluoridation levels (0.20 mg/L) are below whats recommended (0.70 - 1.2 mg/L) for the prevention of tooth decay.
- However, our recent assessment finds that South Miami-Dade County is ready to take this important step forward in public health.
What We Can Do & Additional Resources
- Educate and raise awareness among Miami-Dade County Commissioners and Mayor.
- Organize a community outreach campaign featuring coordinated communications targeting the general public.
- A completed business cost analysis may be needed to move this forward.
Learn More About Water Fluoridation